The Frigidaire Affinity Washer is a popular choice among households for its reliable performance and advanced features. However, like any other appliance, it may encounter occasional errors that can disrupt its normal functioning. One such error is Error Code E20, which indicates a drain problem. In this article, we will explore the possible causes of Error Code E20 and provide troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the issue.
Understanding Error Code E20
Error Code E20 on the Frigidaire Affinity Washer points to a drainage problem. It occurs when the washer is unable to drain properly or encounters an obstruction in the drainage system. This can lead to water not being completely pumped out of the machine, resulting in incomplete cycles and potential damage to the washer if not addressed promptly.
Possible Causes of Error Code E20
- Clogged Drain Hose: A clogged or kinked drain hose is one of the primary causes of Error Code E20. The blockage prevents water from being expelled from the washer effectively.
- Obstruction in the Drain Pump: The drain pump may become blocked by small objects such as coins, lint, or debris, leading to poor drainage and triggering the error code.
- Faulty Drain Pump: A malfunctioning or worn-out drain pump can also cause Error Code E20. If the pump fails to operate correctly, the washer will not be able to drain properly.
- Pump Impeller Damage: The pump impeller is responsible for propelling water out of the washer. If the impeller is damaged or broken, it can result in inadequate drainage and trigger the error code.
Before attempting any troubleshooting steps, ensure that the washer is unplugged and disconnected from the power source.
Step 1: Check the Drain Hose
- Locate the drain hose at the back of the washer and inspect it for any bends, kinks, or blockages.
- Straighten the hose and remove any visible obstructions.
- Ensure that the hose is securely connected to both the washer and the drainage system.
Step 2: Clean the Drain Pump
- Locate the access panel on the front or back of the washer, depending on the model.
- Remove the panel to access the drain pump.
- Place a shallow container beneath the pump to catch any excess water.
- Unscrew the pump filter or cap and carefully clean it.
- Inspect the pump impeller for any damage or blockage. If necessary, remove the obstruction using a small tool or your fingers.
- Reassemble the pump and secure the access panel.
Step 3: Test the Washer
- Plug in the washer and run a test cycle to check if the Error Code E20 has been resolved.
- Observe the drainage process to ensure that water is being expelled effectively.
- If the error code persists, proceed to the next step.
Step 4: Replace the Drain Pump
- If the previous steps did not resolve the issue, it is likely that the drain pump is faulty and needs replacement.
- Consult the Frigidaire Affinity Washer’s user manual or contact customer support to identify the correct replacement part.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the new drain pump.
Error Code E20 on the Frigidaire Affinity Washer can be a frustrating problem, but with the right troubleshooting steps, it can be resolved. By checking the drain hose, cleaning the drain pump, and, if necessary, replacing the faulty components, you can restore your washer’s normal functionality. If you are uncertain about any of the steps or the error code persists, it is recommended to seek professional assistance or contact Frigidaire’s customer support for further guidance.