The appearance of the error is preceded by the strange behavior of the washing machine: the wash starts, but no water gets in. Another situation is when there is a specific water filling nose but the water fills too slowly and the amount of it is not enough for washing.
The LG washing machines without a control display notify of a malfunction by blinking or flashing “Main wash” – “Prewash” indicators.
The meaning of error code IE: the water fills the drum too slowly (more than 4 minutes) or does not come at all.
Possible causes of the problem
The reasons why LG washer displays error code IE on the display:
- Failure of the inlet valve. Water may not fill the drum if the valve does not open in time. It might be not fully open, so there is not enough water for washing.
- Failure of the pressure switch. In this case, you will hear the sound of coming water, but the system will still indicate error code IE.
- The electronic controller is out of order. If the “brain” of the machine is faulty, all of its parts cannot function because they do not receive the signals.
How to fix the situation and solve the problem?
First of all, reboot the system: completely unplug the machine by pulling the plug from the socket, and leave it for 15-20 minutes. If it is a failure of the controller, the error will be reset. If not, the code will appear again.
What else can you do:
- Check the water supply both in the house and in the system alone. Turn the shut-off valve to full power.
- Unscrew the water intake hose and check it for clogging. If it requires cleaning, rinse it under tap water. Sometimes there is a kink of the hose, and then the water either does not fill the drum at all or comes too slowly.
- The flow filter may be clogged. It is located at the junction of the washer with the inlet hose. You need to get the filter and clean it. This problem is especially typical for the summer season, when the pipes are usually replaced.
You’ve tried all the ways how to troubleshoot the device without the intervention into the mechanism of the LG machine. If this does not help to remove the IE error, do the following steps:
- You need to check the inlet valve. Unscrew the top panel of the washer – you will see the part under it.
- Take the multimeter and check the resistance of the device, which should normally be 2-4 Ohm. If the indicators show a failure in the electronics of the valve, you need to replace the coil.
However, it usually happens that the indicators seem fine, but the valve still does not work. In this case the replacement is required. To do this, you need to:
- Unplug the LG washing machine, disconnect it from all communications.
- Remove the top cover if you have not already done so.
- Disconnect the wires from the coil.
- Remove the clamps, and disconnect the hoses.
- Unscrew the valve fixing bolt and remove the unit.
- The installation of the new element is done in the reverse order.